Date:      Tue, 02 Jun 1998 07:08:06 -0700
From:      Albert Kinderman <albert.kinderman@email.csun.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Plug'n'play and PPP

I am a relative newbie who started with a 2.2.2 system. I have a supra
pnp modem.
I just recently upgraded to 2.2.6 by downloading (using a different
operating system)
and installing from disk.  I built a new kernel with pnp support and the
boot messages
show that my supra modem [id SUP1310] is found.  On three other
operating systems,
the modem is at 03e8 irq 5, yet I can't find the modem at cuaa2.  Is
there a missing step?

Also, when I try to run ppp, I get a message that libdes.so.3.0 can't be
located.  However,
when I am in Midnight Commander and start ppp, it seems to start
correctly and I get
a ppp prompt.  Of course, when I go to term and type AT, I get modem not
found.  At
first I thought that I hadn't upgraded something, but then why would it
run from inside
mc?  I also tried searching for libdes on my system, but couldn't find
it.

Help on either or both problems will be greatly appreciated.

Al