Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:40:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jason Taylor <jason@kanda.com>
To:        Mike Dewhirst <Dewhirst.M@UCLES.org.uk>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ssh public key authentication (through putty)

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Mike Dewhirst wrote:

> it was 611, changed it to 600, no result.
>
> Some specific questions:
>
> 1. what should the name of the keys file be if I'm using OpenSSH 2.3.0?

> 2. do I need anything else in the "config" file in my .ssh dir, on top of
> "RSAAuthentication yes" and "PasswordAuthentication yes"?

I've never needed to put a config file in my ~/.ssh directory, the
FreeBSD/OpenSSH defaults have always been fine.

> 3. I am specifying a user under putty's Connection-->Auto-login username
> option, is this the right thing to do?

Yes, putty needs to tell the remote system who you are logging in as.

> 4. Does it matter that the client is behind a firewall?

If you can connect through putty using SSH with passwords then the
firewall will not cause any problems.

> I've been battling with this for about a month now, any help will be greatly
> appreciated.

These are the steps I just took to get Open SSH (OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD
localisations 20011202, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090601f)
Working with putty.  I downloaded the latest release of putty from the
putty website. (0.52 - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)

1. Create a key using puttygen
 A) Set to SSH2 DSA (1024 bit)
 B) Hit Generate
 C) Enter a passphrasse
 D) Select & Copy all text from "Public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys2 file"
 E) Paste into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 (being carefull to check line wrapping)
 F) Save private / public keys onto the local windows PC.

2. Configure Putty

  Session->Hostname = remote host
  Session->Protocol = SSH
  Connection->Auto-login username = YOUR REMOTE USERNAME
  Connection->SSH->Preferred SSH Protocol Version = 2
  Connection->SSH->Auth->Private key file for authentication = YOUR PRIVATE KEY

Then hit open.  This works fine from here.

Jason.