Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:02:03 -0700
From:      Greg White <gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: still trouble with IP-Filter in 4.4-prerel

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 05:24:39PM +0200, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> i know there was a topic about ipf in 4.4-prerel about ipf in
> the kernel being version 3.4.20 and the userland version being
> 3.4.16. and how loading rules will result in some fancy error
> messages like:
> 1:ioctl(add/insert rule): No such process
> 2:ioctl(add/insert rule): No such process
>
> but no matter what i do, cvsupping src-all a hundred times,
> cvsupping with an empty /usr/src/contrib/ipfilter and
> buildworlding...ipf wont want to get the rules loaded.

If userland is 3.4.16 and kernel is 3.4.20 still, nothing will work
until you get rid of that problem.

> now maybe(certainly) there is a solution for this, but browseing
> the archives did not reveal one for me...

Either you missed some of the sources in cvsup, or you did not get a
good compile.

> so can anyone tell me how i can use ipf properly with 4.4-prerel?

See above.

> or at least what the hell is the problem with 4.4 and ipf, and WHY
> this is a problem? i really dont get that.

There is no generic problem with 4.4-PRE and ipf:

root@frodo:~# uname -a
FreeBSD frodo 4.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-PRERELEASE #18: Sat Aug  4
20:13:47 PDT 2001     root@frodo:/home/obj/usr/src/sys/FRODO  i386
root@frodo:~# ipf -V
ipf: IP Filter: v3.4.20 (264)
Kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.20
Running: yes

Others have suggested that stale info in /usr/src/sys/compile/HOSTNAME
has been a problem -- did you try removing that directory?

FWIW, I've been tracking -STABLE quite religiously since 4.1, and have
not been bitten by this problem, nor the problems that others reported
when ipf changed locations in the tree -- just lucky, I guess...

--
Greg White