Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:40:23 -0500
From:      Frank Knobbe <frank@knobbe.us>
To:        Fractal <kantor_mult@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and WinNT

--=-cr9INJuPMeXwJK3wdZno

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 09:27, Fractal wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD 4.8 and I need to install on the same machine
> WindowsNT-like operating system. I tried to do this and installed it.
> But after recovering of BSD bootstrap loader using sysinstall I found
> that I cannot load Windows. Namely, there was two question signs
> ('??') in the second string of BSD loader menu (the first was
> 'FreeBSD') and after selecting it by F3 my computer rebooted. Windows
> should run on NTFS partition, not FAT. Can I do something and if yes,
> what?

I'm one of those guys that prefers to boot into the Windows boot
manager. From there I can start Win2000 (used solely for games these
days) and FreeBSD.=20

So if you were to install BSD first, then Windows, and not recover your
bootsector, you would boot into Windows like I do. My boot.ini looks
like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=3D10
default=3Dc:\bootsect.bsd
[operating systems]
c:\bootsect.bsd=3D" FreeBSD "
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=3D" Windows 2000 Professional
Native Mode " /fastdetect

bootsect.bsd is nothing else than a copy of /boot/boot1 from BSD. So
from the Windows boot menu, I choose FreeBSD (or wait) and it boots BSD.

Cheers,
Frank

--=-cr9INJuPMeXwJK3wdZno

--=-cr9INJuPMeXwJK3wdZno--