Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 08:04:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        Rob Schofield <rschof@mccomm.nl>
Cc:        scott@statsci.com, Hardware list at FreeBSD <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dead quantum story

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Rob Schofield wrote:

> Actually, on a more serious note: it sounds like a dead spindle
> bearing, which is usually terminal. You can recover from a dead
> controller on the disk by cannibalising another, but when the
> mechanicals go west, you've had it (even if you get the can open to
> look, just opening it will deposit so much large-dimension dust on teh
> surface that you would head crash badly if it ever re-started).

I've had several drives in the past that seem to have gotten stuck for
some reason or another.  In one the end of the spindle was actually
exposed, so I could reach in and give it a twist to get it started [sort
of a jump start :-)].  In others I've been able to recover data by taking
the drive out and twisting it parallel to the spindle quickly back and
forth; that seemed to be enough the break the spindle free.  I then
IMMEDIATELY do a backup and trash the drive - drives are cheap, data
usually isn't... :-)!!

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |
| Mike@Newell.arlington.va.us          | http://www.newell.arlington.va.us  |
| "Peace.  It's wonderful!"  Father Divine.                                 |