Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:47:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man pages/more formal def enable_intr/disable_intr/restore_intr

MUCH better!

> 1. Formal Definition
>
> disable_intr: Disables interrupts being dispatched to at least the calling
>               CPU. Returns an intrmask_t (should probably be an opaque type)
>               to be possibly used in a future call to restore_intr.
                --------------
		which can be

> restore_intr: Restores the state prior to the call to disable_intr such that
>               the calling CPU now can have interrupts dispatched to it.
                                -------                                 -
				will now                                ,
		if the state prior to the call had interrupts enabled.

[ this assumes that there are no pareameters, and it's nestable, which
may be better state explicitly; if it's like splx, then a different
description might be better... ]

> enable_intr: Irrespective of any prior state, enables interrupts to be
>              dispatched to the calling CPU.
>
> (this narrows things down)

Yep.

> Does this help? If not, just leave it noted that I'm not satisfying you and
> we'll move on.

[ ... ]

It's nearly perfect.  It will keep someone in x86 land from shooting
the Alpha people in the foot, and will keep the Alpha people from
doing something that might require a big firefight in order to do a
SPARC or some other port.  It's exactly what the doctor ordered.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.