Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:34:01 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@qxnitro.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, ports-announce@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] current switched by default to pkgng

--------------enigC618E7640C3C6B38E9C6D066

On 10/10/2012 16:52, Simon L. B. Nielsen wrote:
> I read UPDATING, but I'm still not sure what this means when I use
> ports and not packages.

It means that if you're a user of HEAD, and you don't opt out by setting
WITHOUT_PKGNG=3Dyes in make.conf, then:

  * the next time you use the ports, ports-mgmt/pkg will be installed
    as a dependency

  * pkgng will be used to register all the ports you subsequently
    install into /var/db/pkg/local.sqlite

However, unless you take some preventive action, any ports that were
installed before this update won't be added to the registry in
local.sqlite.  You'll end up with a mix of stuff using the old subdirs
of /var/db/pkg from pkg_tools and the new local.sqlite from pkgng.

Sorting that out is a one-time job to import the pkg_tools data into
pkgng's database using pkg2ng, which is what the instructions in
UPDATING describe.

> Does it mean that I should install pkg to have /var/db/pkg managed,
> but otherwise ports keeps working the same way, or?

pkgng will need to be installed, yes.  You'll need to switch to using
pkgng commands rather than pkg_tools -- eg:

    pkg info -a

to get a list of all installed ports.  You need to patch portmaster(8)
if you use that -- although a patched version will soon be available in
ports.  Apart from that, the ports will work pretty much exactly as they
used to do.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20