Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:33:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        proot@horton.iaces.com, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jerome.privat@bt-sys.bt.co.uk
Subject:   Re: support for ADSL cards drivers in FreeBSD

>  When you get service from USWEST, you get the 675 free, along with a 3COM
>  ethernet board (ISA, I think). I think they say it's a $300 value, or so.
>
>  We also don't sell the 605 separately. The only way I know how to get one
>  is to buy a computer from Dell with it pre-installed.

for the money, the Cisco 675 is a great deal, but I have no doubt the need
for the Cisco 605 driver will be more vocal in the future (esp, if Cisco
starts pushing these devices in new computers instead of modems -- I guess
that won't happen until ASDL is common). Even in sticks (Fargo), last summer,
an ISP wanted a FreeBSD driver for the Cisco 605 but couldn't get the specs.
According to the ASDL web page on how these devices can be configured, for
a telco, I could see the Cisco 605 offering a variety of services beyond IP
connection since they have the ATM infrastructure.

I will put my name down as someone that would help with the driver, assuming
document and equipment can be secured. Unfortunately, I would not be able
to use the product for personal use because ASDL service is limited here,
as it is in many (most?) places.

--mark.