Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 13:28:57 -0500
From:      Bruce Albrecht <Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tyan ATX 1668

I've got one of these on order, and I understand that there's a
problem with the 5th PCI slot, which is not currently a problem for me
since I'm currently planning to use 3 slots.  However, I was wondering
if this problem is a hardware problem or a BIOS problem, and whether
it matters which BIOS (AMI/Award) one is using.  If it's BIOS, what's
the change that Tyan will have the BIOS manufacturers fix it if we all
complain?

Also, this will be my first FreeBSD system (currently running
NetBSD-Amiga), and I was wondering if I should start out running
FreeBSD 2.2.1, and start looking at FreeBSD-SMP after I've gotten my
basic setup done, or take the plunge and go start to FreeBSD-3.0+SMP
kernel?  Would I run 3.0 software + SMP kernel, or is there a complete
SMP tree?

Thanks,
Bruce