Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:03:54 -0400
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Rich Winkel <rich@chumbly.math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld 3.2R -> 3.2S fails over NFS

Rich Winkel wrote:

> I just cvsupped fresh sources this weekend with the same result.
> Does anyone else use nfs to "installworld"?
> Or am I the only one having this problem?

From 3.0R to at least 3.1-stable I've seen this problem.  The (annoying) workaround
has been to do RW mounts of /usr/src and /usr/obj.  I've seen some discussion of this
problem on the -hackers list of late, with some mention of fixes.  I updated my
sources to the latest 3.2-stable on August 4th and happily found that running
installworld over read-only NFS mounts worked again!

So... I hope what you're seen doesn't mean it's broken again....

> According to Rich Winkel:
> ?
> ? This is from 3.2 sources cvsup'd today.
> ? The buildworld on the nfs server goes fine, the make.conf files are
> ? identical on the server and client, but make installworld on the client gives:
> ?
> ? [... lots of lines ...]
> ? ===? gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl
> ? install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   perl /usr/bin
> ? /usr/bin/perl5 -? /usr/bin/perl
> ? /usr/bin/perl5.00503 -? /usr/bin/perl
> ? cd /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/ext/B ; make -B install  INSTALLPRIVLI
> ? B=/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503  INSTALLARCHLIB=/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach
> ? make: don't know how to make Makefile.PL. Stop
> ? *** Error code 2
> ?
> ? Stop.
> ? *** Error code 1

---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network ? Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx