Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2023 20:15:30 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: crashinfo fails on 'version'

On Fri, 29 Sep 2023, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023, Warner Losh wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 29, 2023, 3:56 PM Bjoern A. Zeeb
>> <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> saveinfo wrote a good core, but crashinfo bails on it:
>>>
>>> 'version' has unknown type; cast it to its declared type
>>> 'version' has unknown type; cast it to its declared type
>>> Unable to find matching kernel for /var/crash/vmcore.1
>>>
>>> I've got gdb-13.1_3 installed.
>>>
>>> Anyone any insights?
>>>

>> What does kgdb say? Iirc crashinfo uses lldb for this.
>
> I would hope the latter was true but:
>
> % grep -i lldb /usr/sbin/crashinfo %
>
> at least on the version here still very much gdb.
>

> I have started to trace and manually called the same commands crashinfo
> seems to run (without batch).
>
> It seems the real problem might be that it cannot find debug symbols
> inside the VM.
>
> I am wondering if there was a way to check for that to make the error
> messages less cryptic (e.g., maintenance print symbols empty if it does
> what I would think; I'll hopefully see soon).
>
> Also turns out /etc/src.conf on the provided host had WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES=
> and even building and installing with -DWITH_DEBUG_FILES does not seem
> to override that (probably by design), which likely was the reason for
> no symbols in first place.
>

> I'll hopefully have more answers in 20 minutes.  Remote debugging wifi
> less fun than I hoped.

Well things in src.conf commented out, also tried with
-DWITHOUT_SPLIT_KERNEL_DEBUG, ... I still get no debugging symbols
with a main amd64 GENERIC installed.  Neither in /usr/lib/debug not
/boot/kernel/kernel.  I am totally confused as to why currently.

Build host is 14.0-ALPHA1 from mid August.

Anyone any idea?

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7