Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 11:02:51 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        alk@pobox.com, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux.8

Tony Kimball wrote:

> Here's my attempt to explain linux-space.  Please correct/expand/comment.
>
> When a Linux ABI executable attempts to change to a directory relative
> to / which exits relative to /compat/linux (or the directory to which
             ^^^^^ typo

> /compat/linux is linked, if it is a soft link), the version under
> /compat/linux becomes the current working directory.  The directories,
> mounts, or links intervening between / and /compat/linux are not part
> of the current path, so that changing directories to .. from the Linux
> instance of /usr, namely /compat/linux/usr, changes directories to /,
> and not to /compat/linux.

This seems very odd. Are you sure? If that is the case, then there is
definitely something wrong with the definition of overlaying :-)

> Attempting to
> .Xr exec 2
> a file follows
> similar rules of shadowing, with the contents of
> /compat/linux/usr/bin, for example, superceding the contents of
> /usr/bin.
> .Xr open 2
> and
> .Xr getdirentries 2
> do not, however, perform such shadowing.

Again, are you sure? If that is the current behaviour, then your manpage is
correct and I should stop complaining. But I sure would like to know what the
reason is.

> .Sh FILES
> .Bl -tag -width /lkm/linux_mod.o
> .It Pa /lkm/linux_mod.o
> Linux emulator loadable kernel module.
> .Sh SEE ALSO
> .Xr lkm 4 ,
> .Xr modload 8 ,
> .Xr brandelf 1

You may want to refer to kld modules. instead of lkm modules.

If the manpage is correct wrt the implementation, could anyone explain to me
why it is implemented the way it is. I see unnecessary inconsistencies
here...

marcel