Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 12:54:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies

>  * If necessary this should be changed to check the existence of the file
>  * and whether it's executable, relying on the environment path is
>  * not working right.
>
> I think we can make the check a little more "intelligent", for
> instance by checking for /usr/local/bin and /usr/X11R6/bin if it's not
> in the search path AND the program is not found, and printing out a
> warning about them if it's in either one (these two should cover 97%
> of our ports).

Could we add a dependency file or something along those lines, that
has the paths of the files the package depends on and then we can
check whether the file actually exists and even whether it has the
correct permissions.

It'd be more work for the port author but it would be rock-solid in use.
If necessary we can make the dependency and optional feature and use it
if it exists but emit a warning if it doesn't and just hope for the best.

mtree can be used to do most of this. Incidentally, I had someone
try and install a package yesterday without mtree in their path (it's in
/usr/sbin/mtree so that was reasonable). We should hard code that path
into the bsd.mk files for ports.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul