Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:30:28 GMT
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/73053: firefox 1.0PR cannot save preferences or bookmarks, when compiled WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS

The following reply was made to PR ports/73053; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To: Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc: FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@FreeBSD.org>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/73053: firefox 1.0PR cannot save preferences or
	bookmarks, when compiled WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:28:41 -0400

 --=-to0cVws2lzRzkcc8+zYA

 On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 13:53, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
 > On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 05:36:29PM +0000, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
 > > First, have you tried the suggestions in /usr/ports/UPDATING pertaining=
 > > the Firefox 1.0.p update?  If so, there have been bugs reported to Fire=
 fox's
 >=20
 > I have tried all of these suggestions with firefox 1.0PR, without success=
 .
 >=20
 > I have used some of these techniques with previous firefox releases to
 > resolve the specific earlier issues described, however.
 >=20
 > > Bugzilla that indicate this could be a permissions issue.  As root, try
 > >=20
 > > # chown -R bms ~/.mozilla/firefox
 >=20
 > All files and directories in the above were owned by bms when I ran 1.0PR=
 .
 >=20
 > > I'm guessing your user is bms.  If that doesn't work, checkout the list=
  of
 > > bugs pertaining to saving bookmarks in Firefox's Bugzilla.  I have a fe=
 eling
 > > you're not alone in this, but thus far, I have not been able to reprodu=
 ce.
 > >=20
 > > Oh, and of course, make sure you're running Firefox 1.0.1.p_4.
 >=20
 > I have reverted to 0.9.3 to avoid the regressions for the time being.
 >=20
 > ktrace(8) did not reveal any system call errors (e.g EPERM, ENOSPC)
 > during read()/write() around the time of bookmarking or preference
 > save operations.
 >=20
 > I have observed these problems with www/mozilla releases in the past
 > when using WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS.

 It's strange that you can reliably reproduce this, and I have not been
 able to reproduce this once.  And, yes, I use OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS as well.=20
 There are some bugs filed against this, so hopefully this will be fixed
 in the future.

 Joe

 >=20
 > BMS