Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 1995 17:04:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lmbench 1.1.5 vs 2.2-current

>2.2-current seems to be significantly slower than 1.1.5 in many areas.
>
>These benchmarks were run on the same machine except for a faster disk
>and a possibly different L2 cache setting for 2.2-current.
>
>The faster disk and clustering speed up the file reread benchmark by a
>factor of 8.

Yep, it is mostly the clustering, and the larger, on-demand, buffer cache.

>The local tcp bandwidth is anomalously slow in
>2.2-current.

No it isn't, the flag that is set before the TCP test in the benchmark
really screwing up the results.  Either we don't support it correctly,
or something strange is happening.

>mmap has been tuned for faster access at a cost of
>increased setup overhead in 2.2-current.

Yep, the amount of time to map a 100-200K (or larger segment) is
only a few page fault times.  I think that is a very advantageous
tradeoff, considering it could take 25-50 page fault times otherwise.

>Otherwise, these benchmarks
>show unexplained lossages (probably mostly due to vfs bloat) of 10-40%
>for 2.2-current.

Interesting, the VFS code adds THAT much overhead to the TCP/UDP results???
(Maybe, but I don't think so)

I think that a properly ported lmbench, whose results are properly analyzed
would show that the new system is much faster in several areas and roughly
the same or sometimes a bit slower otherwise.  The lmbench summary scripts don't
even appear to produce the correct results given the raw data files produced
(at least for me.)  I always quote the raw data file output -- don't have
time or inclination to fix the perl/awk/whatever scripts.

John
dyson@freebsd.org