Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:51:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
Cc:        <bzdik@yahoo.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Debian apt-get and FreeBSD

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, FreeBSD wrote:

> Is there currently a way to install the package via a make target in the
> ports tree? Ie., cd /usr/ports/*/apsfilter && make install-pkg ?
> Just out of curiosity.

Err... what?

If you have a package (an archive file with a .tgz suffix, containing
the pre-built software), you install it with "pkg_add".

If you use the port, you automagically fetch the source code, apply
patches, build and install it with "make install" (or "make install
clean" to also get rid of all temporary files).

(And, should you for some reason then want to create a package, you
 can do a "make package", but that requires the software to have been
 installed first, using "make install", and will produce the archive
 file, the one with a .tgz suffix, for use by pkg_add on some other
 machine (or on the same machine, if you first remove the installed
 version using pkg_delete))

Dunno if that answers your question, but that is how it works ;-)

      /Mikko

> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Mikko Tyolajarvi wrote:

> > >thanx, I guess I was too lazy to study both well enough.
> >
> > "pkg_add -r <pkgname>" is a really lazy way to install binary packages.
> >
> >   $.02,
> >   /Mikko

 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com
 RSA Security