Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:46:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quoted-printable email

On Monday, 20 September 1999 at 22:48:54 -0600, Brian Handy wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Running -current, got a basic (?) sendmail question for some guru...
>
> I got an email from someone, in some sort of Japanese format.  Normally I
> have no problem receiving and reading Japanese email, but this one came
> through with this dreaded bit in the header:

There's nothing to dread here.

> What the heck's that about?  Any ideas?  I don't see the obvious
> answer in the sendmail man pages.  I heard a rumor from someone that
> there's a program that will unmangle this, any suggestions?

It seems that you have a problem with reading this message.  But it
has nothing to do with this header: it just tells you that it
(successfully) converted the format from the older quoted-printable
format, in which special characters were written in hex (for example,
space became =20), to a clear 8 bit format.  I get a lot of messages
like this, mainly from European countries, and they're all as legible
as the originator makes them.  Here's an example:

  Dear sir,

  as of today, you can reach me at the following new e-mail address:
  <foo>

  The address <bar> will be deleted by the end of September 1999.

  -.--.-..-.--.-..-.--.-..-.--.-..-.--.-..
  Sehr geehrter Damen und Herren,

  ab sofort können Sie mich unter den neuen E-Mail Adresse <foo> erreichen.

  Die Adresse <bar> wird Ende September gelöscht.

The special characters in the German version require some non-ASCII
representation.  Nowadays, it's ISO 8859-1 (and this message will come
in this encoding because of these characters).  Older software used
quoted-printable.

I suspect that your real problem is that the message is written in
Japanese.  You'll need at least Japanese fonts to read it (as well as
a knowledge of Japanese :-)

Greg