Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2022 17:03:58 +0100
From:      Johannes Totz <jo@bruelltuete.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How to sync/mutex with acpi_tz_get_temperature()

Hi there,

I would like to make sure that some of my code does not run concurrently
with acpi_tz_get_temperature()
[https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/blob/main/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_thermal.c#L465].
What's the best way to achieve that?

I wrote a small driver for one of those SuperIO hardware monitors that
measures fan speed, voltage, temperature etc. That works fine.
But looking at my board/BIOS's ASL, invoking _TMP is not safe to do
concurrently with my driver. [see footnote]

Ultimately, acpi_tz_thread()
[https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/blob/main/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_thermal.c#L949]
is calling acpi_tz_get_temperature() with a few hops in-between.
There are a few instances of ACPI_LOCK(thermal) etc but nothing that
guards acpi_tz_get_temperature() specifically.

Anyone have ideas/pointers?

thanks,

Johannes

footnote: Reading from that chip is stateful, as in you need to do I/O
to select which register you want to read/write and then read/write from
another location to access the value of that register. Try to do that
from 2 threads at the same time, one of them will read/write the wrong
register, thus you can glitch ACPI into doing something
disruptive/destructive.