Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:02:31 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, jkh@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:14:51AM +0100, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> The phenomenon was that a local ypbind couldn't contact the local or
> any remote ypserver and it disappeared exactly then when removing
> the i686 option (and not changing anything else!). Well, I tried
> nearly everything for about one week and only removing this flag
> helped.

Well, FWIW, I'm not able to reproduce this with my

FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #1: Tue Mar  6 16:37:43 CET 2001     stijn@pcwin002.win.tue.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PCWIN002  i386

[stijn@pcwin002] <~> sudo domainname XXXXX
[stijn@pcwin002] <~> sudo ypbind XXXX
[stijn@pcwin002] <~> ps axc | grep ypbind
40786  ??  Ss     0:00.00 ypbind
[stijn@pcwin002] <~> ypcat -x
Use "passwd" for "passwd.byname"
Use "master.passwd" for "master.passwd.byname"
Use "group" for "group.byname"
Use "networks" for "networks.byaddr"
Use "hosts" for "hosts.byaddr"
Use "protocols" for "protocols.bynumber"
Use "services" for "services.byname"
Use "aliases" for "mail.aliases"
Use "ethers" for "ethers.byname"

I don't know if this is enough testing for you; I need real access to the
domain if I'm to ypcat something, but I could arrange for that to
happen. Unfortunately, I'm no NIS expert so I need to be guided as to
what to do for real tests.

Note that this is using CPUTYPE=i686, with build/installworld done twice to
make sure the changes were picked up (and I have build logs to prove that
they were).

HTH,

--Stijn

--
I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
There's a knob called `brightness', but it doesn't work."