Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 1996 17:29:02 -0700
From:      erich@uruk.org
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu
Cc:        alan@cymru.net, peter@spinner.dialix.com, smp@csn.net, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Generic SMP startup sequence and some docs

I finally have most of it almost done (complaints about work, other
projects, etc. appropriate here ;-).

The main part missing is the inclusion of most of the the CPU startup
sequence itself, a generic IPI sender routine of some sort (still
thinking on that one a bit), and one more look over the "default"
configuration startup (there's some things missing right now, though
they are only relevant to using the APIC in Symmetric I/O modes).

Look on my MPS webpage in the "Example Code/Clarifications" section
for details:

	http://www.uruk.org/~erich/mps.html

Several more details about how to support integrated vs. discrete
APICs are in this code and docs.  When I get more of the Symmetic
I/O stuff done, yet more will come out.

One interesting detail is to note that in general, the other CPUs
are already set up for generic symmetic delivery...  all you have
to do is to enable the LINTIN0 (ISA interrupts) and LINTIN1 (NMI
interrupt) entries on each CPU, as they should already be programmed.
The "local interrupt" entries of the MP Configuration Table, if
set to "0xFF" APIC destination, are already set up on all the CPUs.

The code I have parses all these, plus sets up a "fake" table which
calls all the appropriate callbacks for the default configurations
(the debugging I mentioned is making sure all the entries are correct).

Anyway...  I'll send more soon.

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)