Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:05:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        anuranjan@yahoo.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IOCTL problem in a n/w driver

>  In this I can set the LLADDR and MTU and can read the
>  correct MTU using the "ifconfig" command. But
>  interesting this is that In the output of the ifconfig
>  I see:
>
>  xx0: ...... MTU 1500
>  	ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

I assume that you set the MAC address to the arpcom.ac_enaddr
for the device.

 bcopy(macvar, (char *)&sc->arpcom.ac_enaddr, ETHER_ADDR_LEN);
       ^^^^^ from ROM

The MAC address is stored in 2 places. The driver and ifconfig -lla
set up the variable ac_enaddr and ether_ifattach copies it
into the correct sockaddr_dl location.

the SIOCGIFADDR ioctl returns the value stored in the ac_enaddr.

--mark tinguely.