Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:30:52 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net, dillon@earth.backplane.com, riel@conectiva.com.br, bsddiy@21cn.com, Tor.Egge@fast.no, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm balance

In message <200104161223.f3GCNZZ51680@rina.r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, Seigo Tanim
ura writes:

>Poul-Henning> I'm a bit worried about the amount of work done in the
>Poul-Henning> cache_purgeleafdirs(), considering how often it is called,
>
>Poul-Henning> Do you have measured the performance impact of this to be an
>Poul-Henning> insignificant overhead ?
>
>No precise results right now, mainly because I cannot find a benchmark
>to measure the performance of name lookup going down to a deep
>directory depth.

Have you done any "trivial" checks, like timing "make world" and such ?

>It has been confirmed, though, that the hit ratio of name lookup is
>around 96-98% for a box serving cvsup both with and without my patch
>(observed by systat(1)). Here are the details of the name lookup on
>that box:

Ohh, sure, I don't expect this to have a big impact on the hit rate,
If I thought it would have I would have protested :-)

>For a more precise investigation, we have to measure the actial time
>taken for a lookup operation, in which case I may have to write a
>benchmark for it and test in single-user mode.

I would be satisfied with a "sanity-check", for instance running
a "cvs co src ; cd src ; make buildworld ; cd release ; make release"

with and without, just to see that it doesn't have a significant
negative impact.

>It is interesting that the hit ratio of directory lookup is up to only
>1% at most, even without my patch. Why is it like that?

Uhm, which cache is this ?  The one reported in "vmstat -vm" ?

That is entirely different from the vfs-namecache, I think it is
a per process one-slot directory cache.  I have never studied it's
performance, but I belive a good case was made for it in the 4.[34]
BSD books.