Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:21:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, shawn@cpl.net
Subject:   Re: Printing on Hp Deskjet 855C

> Is it possible to print using lpr(smbclient works) to a HP Deskjet 855C?

Yes (assuming it is connected to a microsloth box).

> Would I be better off
> connecting the printer to the FreeBSD box and share it with Samba?

Yes.

>If
> its possible and anyone has
> a printcap for this printer that works id appreciate it if you could
> pass it along.

su
cd /usr/ports/print/apsfilter
make; make install

(make sure ghostscript is configured with a driver for your HP)

then edit your samba config file and set the guest user to ftp (user
nobody seems to give big problems)

I tell the microsloth OS I have a DEC PS color printer (I forget
the name, but it will be obvious.  Other color PS printers probably
work, also.)  If I'm printing B/W (I have a HP520, so have to change
cartridges) I tell it I have an Apple Laserwriter NTR (if I remember
correctly).  You can probably get generic B/W and color printer
description files from Adobe, but I don't know how to get Windoze
to use them, so I haven't bothered.  The Microsloth box will put
out some extraneous lines of garbage which will give an extra page
of garbage output.  I use an awk script in place of cat in the
apsfilter script to get rid of them.  I can bring it from home
if you need it (it is pretty trivial).

> Thanks.

You're welcome.

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790