Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 15:32:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Alex Kwan <alexkwan@pacific.net.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Different between Borland Turbo C and GNU C

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Alex Kwan wrote:

> I am learning to program with C, and I have some sample
> program which was written by Borland Turbo C,
> The source code contents some graphic drawing function,=20
> like line(), setcolor()........Does it also supported by GNU C
> and could it compiled by GCC ?

No. Functions like those mentioned are part of a special graphics library
provided by the Borland C environment.

> What is the different between Turbo C and GNU C=20
> (exclude DOS System function)?

First, both compilers comply to the (ANSI) standard. This includes a
standard library containing all the functions required by the standard
(like fprintf, strchr and so on). Each compiler environment can provide
more libraries with additional functions. So, you find a graphics library
in Borland C. On an UNIX system, there are lot of library functions not
available with Borland C. Furthermore, there are C interfaces to the
system calls provided by the kernel.

To get an impression of the standard library functions available with gcc,
try the following commands:

ls /usr/share/man/man2
ls /usr/share/man/man3

You can read about the functions by: `man 3 function_name', e.g.:

man 3 fprintf

> Which books are recommanded for Graphic Drawing
> with C under UNIX?

Concerning graphics I'd recommend to use the X library which makes a de
facto standard in the UNIX world. One document available on the net is the
X lib programming guide made available by the MIT (e.g., you may find at
ftp://gwdu60.gwdg.de/pub/misc/xlib_prog.ps.gz).

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg