Date:      Fri, 05 Nov 1999 08:43:12 +0100
From:      Joachim Strombergson <Joachim.Strombergson@emw.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-smp <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Affinity

Hi!

I've missed the message boats a few times so... Could anyone explain the
affinity thing again. If I understood it correctly, it's used to lock a
process to a certain CPU.

When running say a SETI@Home and some other apps at the same time, and
then check top, I see a behaviour for the SETI process where the status
goes something like: CPU0->RUN->CPU1->RUN->CPU0.... Does that mean that
the process is bouncing back and forth between the CPUs?

Any help and explanations would be very much appreciated.

BTW: I'm running a Dual Celeron on ABIT BP6 machine with FreeBSD 3.3
STABLE.

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Yours

Joachim Strömbergson - Alltid i harmonisk svängning
---------------- Ericsson Microwave Systems AB -----------------
Joachim Strömbergson            http://www.ericsson.se/microwave
     ASIC System on Silicon engineer, nice to CUTE animals.
* Opinions above, expressed or implicit, are strictly personal *
------------- Spamfodder: regeringen@regeringen.se -------------