Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:34:40 -0000
From:      "Holdich, Kristian" <kristian.holdich@wcom.co.uk>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Hardware

Michael,

As a fellow newbie i've just been through a lot of this setting up my
Thinkpad 600, if you have Win95 or NT on your machine, that is a good place
to start getting information from... First you need to identify the hardware
in your machine (CD, Mouse, Serial Ports, Network Card, SCSI, Modem,
Graphics Card). Once you have this information you can go about
reconfiguring FreeBSD so that it only includes support for hardware you
_actually_ have. The way I did this was to recompile the kernel, which is
reasonably straightforward and quite well documented in the manual.
(available at www.freebsd.org) - there may be a more user friendly way, but
it is good practice to get your hands dirty with a text editor and c
compiler.

Also, you should configure your email client to send plain text as many
people here cannot read rich text.

Regards

Kristian Holdich

I'm using FreeBSD 3.1. My kernel file is indicating 13 conflicts, which I
take to mean there are 13 hardware devices in my system that need to be
configured for the software to work effectively. I'm not sure I know my
hardware that well. Is there an easy way to determine what my hardware is?
Device Manager in Windows 95 comes to mind. Also, can you suggest a good
manual that will help configure my system and help me maximize the software.

Thanks,

Michael Rhodes