Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:18:24 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   option PNPBIOS

Does this kernel option do anything (in 4.4-STABLE)?

I'm not sure to read it as
' BSD doesn't need to sort anything out, the BIOS did it all '
(due to the name) or as:
' assume everything is a mess when the kernel boots'
(since it seems to have replaced pnp0)

I'm having grief getting a USB card fitted, and think it
would help to have FreeBSD sort out the PCI bus because,
frankly, my BIOS is crap at it.

Every piece of hardware I install seems to conflict with my PCI SB128
(thanks to those good folks who helped me get my wireless NIC sorted out
over the weekend, incidentally)

I'm thinking of setting the 'pnp os installed = yes' BIOS option
(a.k.a  "don't touch anything, I said , 'leave it!'" )
and letting the OS sort it out.

Or is there any way to force 'PnP' devices to use specific resources?

[ I shudder to say it, but if I boot Win9X and let that figure out
hardware settings, will the BIOS 'remember' them?]

If I had any free ISA slots, I'd throw my old SB16 back in,
but sadly I don't...

Cheers.

--
"I'm not really a hardware kind of guy"