Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:33:07 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: x11/xorg update.

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:17:43PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:50:38 -0700
>> Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:
>>
>>> 	The xorg.conf I created on 09jun07 was around 1K  bytes.  The
>>> 	new one is around 4 times that size.  My logs clued me in --
>>> 	partly.  In /var/log/gdm/:0.log was the problem.  An (EE)
>>> 	that said I was missing some required module.
>> this probably was due to your old xorg.conf having the wrong paths in it. The
>> errors should be pretty obvious, otherwise using xorgcfg should make a good one
>> and you can, at least, use it to compare the differences.
>

> 	Ah, this is the new scriptthat creates xorg.conf, correct?
> 	A bit easier than typing X -configure and messing with the
> 	/root files.  What I don't understand is all the output about
> 	missing modules to stderr.  ...but .... ... .

Which modules does it say are missing? I went through a very similar
situation earlier today, where the X log file reported that mouse and
kbd modules were not found. A bit of dragging through the ports tree,
and I found that they are installed as ports in their own right these
days. I'm not certain why they didn't get installed as part of the huge
Xorg upgrade as detailed in UPDATING, but installing them by hand made
the errors go away.

So, the moral of the story is, I suppose, if you're happy that all your
paths are correct in your xorg.conf, and that you have followed Kris'
upgrade instructions, try looking for an individual port that installs
the missing module.

HTH.

Dan