Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2002 15:06:03 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Dorr H. Clark" <dclark@applmath.scu.edu>
Cc:        Igor Lepechin <gogi@themoscowtimes.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Troubles with MP on ServerWorks NB6635 platform

"Dorr H. Clark" wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Igor Lepechin wrote:
>
> > Feb  4 02:44:49 web /kernel: APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> > Feb  4 02:44:49 web /kernel: APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IOAPIC #0 intpin 2
> > Feb  4 02:44:49 web /kernel: APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 and IOAPIC #0 intpin 0
>
> I've seen this on a prototype board also,
> which didn't involve the ServerWorks chips.
> The system otherwise appeared to function
> although the testing was not extensive.
>
> Is it possible this is just an alarming tone
> for an otherwise acceptable code path?

There are two possible breakages:

1)	The MP Table does not accurately reflect how the
	hardware works.

	That's its job; if it doesn't do its job, then it
	might as well be replaced with one that daoes (i.e.
	reflash your MB with a working BIOS, please)

2)	The 8254 is not wired into the IO APIC correctly.

	This is more serious.  It's either a motherboard
	layout flaw, or it's a chipset flaw, and it's
	going to take an incredible synchronization
	penalty to work around the problem, to the point
	that you are much better off with a different
	motherboard, since the benefit you gain from the
	additional processor is being spent on workarounds.

In either case, the warning is telling you that you are
paying a honking performance penalty, since it has to treat
both cases as if the hardware is really broken.

Ask the vendor if there is a BIOS update, or if their
harware design is bogus (ask in that order, or you are
unlikely to get a BIOS update... 8-) 8-)).

-- Terry