Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 22:03:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        dev@trifecta.com (Dev Chanchani)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Don't fulminate, be productive

> On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > I'd wager that about 95% of the security problems in FreeBSD could
> > solved by going over the OpenBSD cvs logs carefully  and applying
> > those patches.  Theo and co have been very careful in their audits of
> > their programs.

They have, but I prefer to not examine the OpenBSD base until after
auditing the FreeBSD base personally, least it give you a false sense of
security. I'm not saying Theo et al haven't done a lot of work, but
when doing security analysis an uncontaminated perspective is important.

Also, I strongly disagree with the egrep 'strcpy|sprintf' etc
approach. Line by line code-flow-review is the only way to do it.

--
Prof. Julian Assange  |If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people
proff@iq.org          |and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
proff@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint Exupery