Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 07:05:49 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with Soundblaster/CR-563 & FreeBSD2.2.1_RELEASE

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I a writing to ask your help with using a Creative Labs CR-563-B CD-ROM
connected with a 40 pin ribbon cable to the Panasonic connector of a
Soundblaster 16 card.

When I boot the PC with the 2.2.1-RELEASE boot floppy, the probe messages
report that matcd not found at 0x230 (or 0x220, 240, 250 260, 270 280 when
I try changing the parameters in 'visual' mode).

The Soundblaster card also has connectors marked IDE, MITZUMI and SONY but
has no jumpers for port address. I have not used it with an other OS, so
while I think its OK I can't be sure.

Since the problem PC already has FreeBSD2.1.6-RELEASE on it, I built a
kernel with a "device matcd ..." line. When this kernel booted it reported
matcd not found at 0x230.

Thank you,

S Hopcroft
Australian Industrial Property Organisation

PS For those like me who didn't know about the Internet in 1988 Mr Clifford
Stoll in the last chapter of "The Cuckoos Egg" describes his encounter with
the Internet Worm, and his interractions with Dr Bob Morris, the father of
the Robert T Morris who wrote - or produced - the internet worm.