From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Soundblaster 128 problems

Hi,

I've recently bought a Soundblaster 128 PCI.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work properly.

Environment:
FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE, using pcm driver.
The driver detects the card (which looks correct) like:
[..]
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0xb800-0xb83f irq 9 at device 13.0 on pci0
(port, irq and device may vary)

I rebuilt snd0 and pcaudio in /dev.

Now I get sound, but not correct.

If try to play an mpeg-file via mpg123 (new installed of course,
including required libraries), it plays it, but it sounds
very slow, distorted and single-channel.

I tried something different. I use another box as answering machine,
which provides me some G.711 A-Law files. I played them with
g711conf -a < file > /dev/audio

This worked, too, but in this case too fast. Like a tape
that is listened to, while in fastforward.

I have two other machines, one with a Soundblaster 16 (ISA) and
one with a Soundblaster AWE 64 (ISA, too). Both work perfectly with
pcm (and play the same files in a correct way).

To play from CD via the direct-cable works of course.

Maybe I am missing something, like a sysctl parameter, or something
to setup the driver in a way ? Or maybe the hardware is broken ?
How could I test it (well with a M$ box maybe *pain*)...

Any hints are appreciated.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                      - May His Shadow fall upon thee -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*