Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 00:13:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: workaround for talk's address problem

> > talk(1) has problems with multi-homed hosts.  To negotiate the
> > connection with the remote peer, it uses the first address as returned
> > by a call to gethostbyname().  This will cause the connection to hang
>
> NFS has the exact same problem, FWIW.  If there's a more general
> solution, we should go for it.

NFS does not have such a problem, or at least I have never seen it, and
I have _lots_ of networks, all but 1 serving NFS:

gndrsh# nslookup gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Server:  gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Address:  0.0.0.0

Name:    gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Addresses:  198.145.92.49, 198.145.92.241, 198.145.92.17, 198.145.92.33

mountd gets confused if you add an interface and don't restart it, but
other than that and routing path problems it works just fine.  It does
not have the problem that was described about talk, NFS handles this
stuff just fine!