Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 20:16:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Micropolis 4221WT Drive

Hi,

I had to replace a Micropolis 4221 recently (the thing had a head crash) and
I have been experiencing lockups (no error messages, just hard lockups -- the
SCSI light is light solid when this happens) ever since.

The first replacement I received was another 4221 with a slightly newer
firmware.  The second replacement I recieved was a 4221WT which is supposed
to be a low capacity version of the 4345.  I get the same behavior from
both of the replacements -- hard lockups.

All of this is running off an Adaptec 3940UW.  On the first channel, there
is a Micropolis 4345W, and on the second channel there is the replacement
drive.  (I have other drives too, but I took them off while performing the
tests).

I was able to disklabel/newfs the new drive, but within thirty seconds of
trying to copy over data from the 4345, the lockup happens.  All of the
jumper settings as well as the Settings in SCSI-Select are identical between
the two drives (the drives even look identical except for the model number).
They even have the same revision of the firmware.

If I take out the 4221WT even thing works fine though.  I even tried putting
both drives on the same SCSI chain (that didn't work either).

I have also tried using the Automatic and the manual terminations settings
for the controller.  I have also tried using the builtin terminators on the
drive as well as a self-terminating cable I got from Adaptec.

The only diffence that I know about is the 4345 is a Ultra-Wide drive and
the 4221WT is simply a wide drive.

I have termiantion power set to let the host provide power (as I recall
Adaptec boards require this) on both drives.

Anyone seen something similar or have any clues??

Thanks.

--
Keith Mitchell					Head Administrator: acm.vt.edu
Email: kmitch@weenix.guru.org			PGP key available upon request