Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:11:09 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Wavelan/pcmcia/4.0 woes

The latest in my long string of problems recently *sigh*

I have an old 486 laptop I'm trying to use as a wavelan basestation.
I (eventually) got 4.0 working with using wdc and got it working with
my spare pcmcia network cards.

Today my wavelan cards arrive and I slot one in ... to discover that
the machine isn't detecting card insert/remove events and the network
card I'd been using worked when it was in the machine at boot time.

I had to tweak the settings under 3.4-PAO to get insert/remove working,
but it did work.

Ok, I want to test the wavelan stuff. I put the card in and reboot.
I get;

  wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x260-0x29f irq 5 slot 1 on pccard1
  wi0: Ethernet address: 00:2e:56:c0:80:69
  wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
  wi0: tx buffer allocation failed
  wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
  wi0: mgmt. buffer allocation failed
  wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
  wi0: tx buffer allocation failed
  wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
  wi0: mgmt. buffer allocation failed

and the machine hangs until I remove the card

  wi0: xmit failed

and it comes up normally, still thinking there is a wi0 interface there.

I've tried many combinations of memory locations, configs for the cards,
etc, and can't get this card to work in this machine.  It (and it's twin)
both appear to work fine in my other laptop.

My feel for configuring pcmcia I had with 3.x-PAO seems to no longer
be valid for 4.0.  So, can someone clear up some confusion I appear to
be having ?

There are three memory locations around 0xd0000.

 1) in the kernel config (example from GENERIC):
   device          pcic0   at isa? irq 10 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000

 2) in pccardc pccardmem, set from rc.pccardd
   DEFAULT is 0xd0000.

 3) in pccard.conf. sample entry is;
   memory  0xd4000  96k

So I'm assuming that 1 and 2 are related. Are they both setting the
same thing ?  3 is space used by pccardd ?

Changing 2 and 3 and starting pccardd -d don't seem to get me anything
productive.  Changing things and rebooting takes a long time, I'd
far rather be changing things with some purpose than randomly :/

Using the defaults for all three and rebooting, and then doing
  pccardc power 1 0 ; pccardc power 1 0
gives me a configuration for wi0 that seems ok ... but the OS never
gets packets. My other laptop can see packets sent by the 4.0 machine,
but tcpdump never sees the transmitted arp response :/

Help ?

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu