Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:09:09 +0100
From:      James Raynard <fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't "make buildworld"

On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 03:32:45PM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> Nanbor Wang wrote:
> > I'm also rebuilding world after a long rest (~ 6 months.)  I had the
> > similar problem which is solved by issuing the make like above.  But
> > it fails again when rebuilding usr.bin/make:
>
> Did you do anything else other than do a make world? Did you, for
> instance, make includes first by any chance? If so, you shouldn't have
> done that. You either need to back out the version of errno.h you
> have installed at the wrong time, or build and install libc.

I had similar problems when going back to -current after running -stable
for a couple of months.  I eventually got things to work by doing
something like this (didn't take notes, sorry):

1. Do 'make install' in src/share/mk
2. Make includes
3. Make libraries
4. Move everything in /usr/lib out of the way and symlink to /usr/lib/aout.
5. Make world
6. Compile new kernel
7. Reboot
8. Recompile third party applications (ports and X) which no longer work.

Steps 2 and 3 may have MACHINE_ARCH or BINFORMAT specified on the make
command line - I remember one of them didn't get picked up and I couldn't
see why at the time.

James