Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2019 19:07:14 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Cc:        freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make delete-old-libs is your friend

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 6:26 PM George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com> wrote:

> But I forgot that, and ended up with both /lib/libreadline.so.8
> AND /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.8 on my machine, leading to woe
> when compiling the latest lang/python36.  Unfortunately, the base
> version readline was quite a bit older than the one from ports.
>
> Nevertheless, the ports version is explicitly linked as
> libreadline.so.8, the same as the old base version, so python36
> tried linking to the base version and failed because it did not
> contain the new(ish) function rl_callback_sigcleanup.
>
> There's no question I shot myself in the foot by not deleting
> the old libraries (an omission I have now remedied after a fair
> amount of thrashing around to see what was wrong), but it might
> have made my life a little easier if the port devel/readline
> linked itself as libreadline.so.9 instead of 8.  Is there a
> recommended practice (or should there be one) to change the .so
> version when simultaneously moving a base library to ports and a
> new version?                                           -- George

libreadline.so is at version 8 because the current readline is 8.0.
libreadline.so.9 won't come until readline-9.0 is released. We really
can't deviate from that, because it'd still be v8 software; it'd be
like AT&T's ridiculous claim that they invented 5G by discovering the
number 5.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger