Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 2010 17:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, gil@vidals.net
Subject:   Re: moving away from freebsd and zfs

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Gil Vidals wrote:
>
> I thought that the experimental server can speak both NFSv4 and NFSv3
> --
> have you actually tried using it and had the VMware client fail to
> talk to
> it? It seems that one can specify the -e argument to nfsd and skip the
> kernel rebuild, if I am reading the man page correctly ...
>
> -Ben Kaduk

Yes, it should do NFSv3 and run when "-e" is specified for both
nfsd and mountd (or set nfsv4_server_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf,
which sets the "-e" flag for both).

You will need to create the empty file called
   /var/db/nfs_stablerestart
using something like
   install -o root -g wheel -m 600 /dev/null /var/db/nfs-stablerestart
before it will start up the first time.

Good luck with it, rick