Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 18:20:54 +22324924 (EST)
From:      "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@vtaix.cc.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   EIDE controler

Sorry if you all have already talked about this, but I looked through the
archives and didn't find anything!

I'm having a bit of a problem, and didn't know if there is a patch in freebsd!

I have the CMD640b chip as my eide controller!  There is a bug in this and a few
other chips.  You can read in detail about it at
http://www.yahoo.com/pci/faq.html

it explains about a bug with true multi tasking OS's.  The chips that are
bad is RZ-1000, and the CMD640(x) chips, and most likely the SMC set!

These chips have problems with the prefetch, and will corrupt data on eide, ide
drives.  I've eliminated this by buying a scsi controler and scsi drive, however
at this point I dont have the money to buy a scsi cd player so I'm still stuck
with the CDrom on the eide controller!

Well, anyway 95 and NT and OS2 warp have fixes that just dont use the prefetch
and some manufactures have added disabling this feature in the bios, however
mine has not!

There is a fix in Linux for this bug, however the dummy's (niceguys though)
didn't make the patch on the install floppie, so if your problem happens quite
often then you are screwed cause you cant even install!

Well, I run into this error when trying to compile on a newly installed machine
And my question is if anyone knows of a patch, or a beta patch that anyone is
working on, will you let me know!

Thanks!

-------   Jared
-jagnew@vtaix.cc.vt.edu