Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:20:19 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "The Anarcat" <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ed0: device timeout when no interrupt

Boy, this really ought to be in the FAQ now, we are seeing more and
more of it as people try to resurrect old ISA NIC's.

The problem you are having is that you are setting the IRQ to 11 in FreeBSD,
but
the hardware on the card actually is using a different IRQ line that is
NOT 11.  You are going to need to do one of the following:

1) If the card has jumpers, get the manual and move the jumper blocks to
IRQ 11.

2) If it doesen't have jumpers and is not PnP, then run the DOS utility for
the card and configure the card to IRQ 11.

3) If it's a PnP NE2000, then go into the BIOS of your computer and see
where it thinks the network interrupt is then configure FreeBSD to use that.
Not that this IRQ is often NOT the IRQ that Windows sets up on PnP cards.  Not
all systems can do this. Some PnP NE2000 cheapies have DOS programs that can
examine the status of the card (and switch it in or out of PnP mode.)  In
desperation, you can simply keep rebooting FreeBSD with different IRQ values
until you hit on the right one.  I've had to do that a few times with ancient
NE2000 NICS that were non-PnP and I couldn't determine who the manufacturer
was and the card had no jumpers.

There is a generic NE2000 probe program up on Windrivers  (look under NE2000)
that may work if you lost the configuration utility.

I don't know why the driver is able to communicate with the card without a
correct IRQ setting in order to obtain the MAC address, but it is.  At least
you do have the port set right, your almost 90% there, just a few more
guesses.