Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:12:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba and read-only attribute

I've installed a samba fileserver for a client, and it seems that in
scoping the job I failed to discover that the customer makes extensive use
of the read-only attribute with the old NT file server, setting RO on
files which should not be accidentally changed.

The problem lies in the fact that with the old system any user who had rw
access to the directory and the files in it could also set the RO
attribute.  With FreeBSD, only the owner can change the permissions on a
file.

I've read the samba docs and everywhere it seems to say that samba is
never less restrictive than the underlying Unix filesystem.  I've e-mailed
the samba mailling list and heard nothing.

Does anyone have any idea how I can provide the customer with the desired
functionality?  I'm prepared to hack the samba code and the ufs code if
necessary, but I'd prefer not to do that, of course.

Please respond quickly. There is urgency in resolving this issue.

Thanks,

Danny