Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:57:30 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Your Chasing Linux article dated August 9th

On Monday 19 August 2002 12:22 am, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> This is because Linux is pseudo-commercial.  A more accurate statement
> would be that FreeBSD lacks the polish found in leading commercial
> Linux distros, because that is exactly what RedHat is - it's a
> commercialized version of Linux.  (and RedHat is the leading Linux distro)

Comparing FreeBSD to the "non-commercial" Linuxes, like Debian, Slackware and
Gentoo, it's clear to me that FreeBSD is easier to install, while
administration and updating is at least marginally easier.

Too many (nearly all) commercial Linuxes think that ease of use means treating
all users like newbies. They rarely take into account the fact that no one
ever remains a newbie. The distros that most people say are the easiest are
the ones that give me the most frustration.

David