Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:11:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@redirect.to>, Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>, Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>, Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, <bsddiy@163.net>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:

> :
> :On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:
> :
> :>    My advise:  First make it work.  THEN make it work better.
> :
> :	Excellent advice, as long as you don't skip the steps of
> :appropriately defining the problem domain and evaluating all of the
> :possible solutions for it.
>
>    Well, now mind you I am not arguing with you specifically,

	It's ok, I have a thick skin. :)

>    but I will
>    point out that you might garner a great deal more input into the project
>    if someone does a good first-run port of the NetBSD stuff and actually
>    gets it into the tree as an alternative, even if it isn't 100% perfect.

	This is exactly the approach I want to avoid. The reason being
that we saw in the /dev/random development cycle how much intertia, and
just plain BS has to be overcome to make any kind of major architectural
change, and this is a change far exceeding that one in depth and scope. I
am resolved to live through N amount of whining when the changes happen, I
don't think it's healthy to ask either the project at large or the people
doing the new rc system to live through N x 2, or more. I agree that it
doesn't have to be perfect before the first commit, but I'd like to see
the big questions answered before real work starts, and a fairly solid
framework in place before we ask people to gamma test on a live -current.
Think first, code second, think some more is my motto.

>    I was thinking of something along the lines of an rc.conf variable that
>    causes /etc/rc to use the new system rather then the old.

	This is a truly excellent suggestion, thank you.

--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough.