Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 02:21:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   shutdown -p sometimes doesn't...

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

Servus

I have a machine here with a power manglement BIOS that allows me
to enable automatic power-on at a scheduled time.  Kewl, eh?

Normally (when above feature is disabled) `shutdown -p' will
power-off the machine, since I've enabled APM in rc.conf, which
is well and good.

However, if I happen to have made no other changes than to enable
power-on in the BIOS, `shutdown -p' is no different from an ordinary
reboot.  The machine goes through all the motions of poweroff, but
instead reboots.  I tried adding debuggery to see if I could figure
out if enabling power-on made any noticeable difference to the kernel,
but all looked the same.

Now, I've just installed NetBSD on the same machine, and I've
used windows as well, which had no problems with poweroff whether
or not I enabled auto-poweron.  I figured doze was probably doing
something weird, but when the NetBSD `poweroff' command succeeded
in powering off the machine immediately after FreeBSD `shutdown -p'
caused a reboot, I got disturbed.

I tried looking at the NetBSD source k0dez to see if it somehow
was poking at the BIOS somewhat differently or something, but I
couldn't see anything obvious as to why it works when FreeBSD
fails.

Would anyone care to take a stab at fixing this, or offer insight
as to why enabling powerup automagically would be enough to make
the FreeBSD shutdown -p poweroff calls fail?  I'm mystified

thanks
barry bouwsma