Date:      Thu, 19 May 2016 00:14:31 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What changes are welcome?

On 2016-05-19 00:11, Randy Westlund wrote:
> I'd like to start contributing to the base system, but I need
> clarification on what sort of changes would be welcome.
>
> I thought I'd start on simple compiler warnings.  The top code in
> /contrib/top, for example uses K&R-style function definitions and
> implicit return types that spews -Wimplicit-int and -Wreturn-type
> warnings.
>
> While I'm silencing those, is it appropriate for me to make the file
> follow style(9)?
>
> Once I have a diff, should I just upload it to bugzilla, or is it
> preferable to put it on phabricator and then link to it from bugzilla?
>
> Randy

Generally, you likely want to avoid changing anything from contrib/ or
vendor/, as that is code from other projects that is imported, and local
changes complicate that. Of course, top is not really maintained
'upstream' anymore, so maybe it isn't a bad place to start.

Phabricator is likely the best place for patches, it is much easier to
review.

--
Allan Jude