Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2024 08:24:13 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsdinstall use on rpi4

On Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 03:26:19PM +0000, void wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use bsdinstall on
> FreeBSD-15.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20240111-a61d2c7fbd3c-267507.img
> to install to usb3-connected HD, using the 'expert mode' for UFS,
> after having initially booted from mmcsd.
>
> The goal is to boot to usb3 with freebsd on UFS filesystem, and to have
> that filesystem split into partitions, and the partitions having various
> properties. IOW not to have it all on /. I'd like to use GPT instead of MBR.
>
> Is this (bsdinstall) method 'correct' or should I use some other method?
>
> I've tried this method but get errors after the fetching phase.
>
> 1. "manifest not found on local disk and will be fetched from an
> unverified source..."     http://void.f-m.fm.user.fm/error1.png
>
> 2. "error while extracting base.txz: can't create
> /usr/share/untrusted/Sonera_Class_2_Root_CA.pem"
>    http://void.f-m.fm.user.fm/error2.png
>
> 3. "could not set root password. An installation step has been
>    aborted. Would you like to restart the installation or exit    the
> installer?"
>    http://void.f-m.fm.user.fm/error3.png

I tried this using 14-release on a Pi3 with a usb mechanical
hard disk. I don't recall seeing the errors reported above,
but found that the msdos partition wasn't populated. I copied
files manually.

The resulting host is finicky about booting, sometimes requiring
intervention at the serial console to prod u-boot to find the
usb disk. This particular Pi is booting without a microSD, it's
possible the usb-sata adapter contributes to the problem. It
might be worth trying the "bootcode.bin-only" method to see
if that helps. Perhaps others can say more.

Once FreeBSD is up there have been no obvious problems.

Thanks for reading, hth

bob prohaska