Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2012 17:13:14 +0200
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: RUN_DEPENDS=: not respected? Bug?

O. Hartmann ha scritto:
> Working on a small port for OpenCL support for CPUs via "freeocl",
> I run into a problem (runing FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT).
>
> The port requires devel/libatomic_ops, which installs a static library
> /usr/lcoal/lib/libatomic_ops.a.
>
> Following the instructions in the Porter's Handbook for FreeBSD, I added
> a line
>
> RUN_DEPENDS=
> ${LOCALBASE}/lib/libatomic_ops.a:${PORTSDIR}/devel/libatomic_ops

It seems strange to me that a port requires a static library at runtime.
You should use BUILD_DEPENDS if the library is needed to build the port.
And you shouldn't put if after inclusion of bsd.port.pre.mk.
RUN_DEPENDS is for things required at runtime and so usually installed
in the install step.

--
Alex Dupre