Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:56:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: that atapi cdrom (really dvdrom) problem

OK, I take it back.  I don't think it is a signed versus unsigned
issue, though I still think it is dangerous the way atapi_read
mixes them.

I've been trying to follow the two pr's (kern/31530 and kern/31460)
to see if the panics they're getting were related to the problem I
reported earlier.  It doesn't look like I am having the same kind
of bytecount corruption problems reported in those pr's -- at least
I'm not getting way large bytecounts.

What seems to be happening is an atapi_read is partially completing
and then an ATA_S_ERROR comes back on the status flag and this somehow
leads me to an error message.

Is anyone else, delving into this?  And are there good places to read
up on the specs for atapi-dvd-roms so I can make more sense as to how
the drive should behave?

- -r