Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 16:50:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        jbutt@mwci.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

> How stable is the NFS in FreeBSD.. I know that BSDI 2.0 had some real
> NFS problems (escapes me now as to what they were). Is the NFS in
> FreeBSD just as stable as the SUN's ect..

We've not yet used it widely, as we still see problems with lockups or
panics.  I'm upgrading about 10 machines tomorrow to stable from a few
days ago to see if the old problems are still there.  We're currently
running stable from a month or so ago and see behaviour like this:

Start an nfs mount, either v3 or v2, UDP or TCP

Leave client mounted

Get rid of server by either killing mountd, pulling net access, or
shutting down the machine

Execute either mount or df on Client

At this point we see different behaviour.  The client sometimes panics
(haven't been at the console to see why), or the command hangs and is
un-killable.  The only way to get rid of the phantom mount seems to be a
reboot of the client....

Seems to work well except for this behaviour, but I wouldn't want to put
it in production.  After the upgrade tomorrow, I'll repeat while at the
console to see what happens.  FWIW, I haven't seen this on 2.1.7.  It
takes some work to get the mount back, but usually doesn't require a boot
of the client to clear the "stale" mount...

Charles