Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2014 15:59:00 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        =?utf-8?Q?=C5=81ukasz_W=C4=85sikowski?= <lukasz@wasikowski.net>, "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports, pkg's confusion on upgrades...

> On 15 Aug 2014, at 14:43, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk> wrote:
>=20
> --On 15 August 2014 12:52 +0200 =C5=81ukasz W=C4=85sikowski <lukasz@wasiko=
wski.net> wrote:
>=20
>> You could solve this by using your own poudriere - create repos with
>> your own port's options and pkg upgrade everything. Your current
>> approach - mixing packages and ports - is not supported IIRC.
>=20
> Thanks for the suggestion - and I take your point about not mixing ports &=
 packages...
>=20
> Setting up our own pkg repo though sounds like a lot of work (all for the s=
ake of about probably 2 packages we need to change the options on) - I'd gue=
ss there's no way of telling pkg to use 'our' repo for these 2-3 packages, a=
nd the main one for everything else?

If it's only about two or three ports and those are leave ports (things like=
 nginx), mixing pkg and ports works ok in practice.=20

>=20
> I suppose the other option is just ignore packages, and stick to ports? (p=
resuming ports will always be around :)
>=20
>=20
> I'd also still like to know if there's a way of getting 'pkg upgrade' to s=
pit out why it wants to install a 'new package' - when none of the current p=
ackages have a dependency on it?
>=20
> This is going to happen at some point, even on a pkg only system (e.g. wha=
t happens when pkg upgrade says it's going to install X11 [which nothing cur=
rently 'depends' on] - but obviously some upgraded package does - you'd real=
ly want to know what's going to cause X to be installed?